Tuesday 7 September 2010

Day 45 in Japan - Isogashii!! (means busy)

What a busy day I had today - had three classes in a row, and then a one period gap (and lunch), and then my first SCIENCE class! Doesn't sound that full on, but I had to do all of my lesson prep for the last science lesson in the little breaks, have three meetings with teachers, and sort some of the bills I am supposed to pay.

Today there is a typhoon warning - there will be a typhoon in Kyushu tonight and we will get some really strong winds and lots of rain. The strong winds started today, and there were actually 2 windows that got blown in at our school - one in the staffroom, and another in one of the third year student homerooms (while the students were in there - one of them got broken glass all over him but didn't get hurt). If there is a typhoon warning tomorrow, class will be called off. Which prompted the following conversation:

JTE: There is a typhoon warning. Classes may be cancelled tomorrow, because it is too dangerous for students to come to school
Me: How will I know if I should stay at home?
JTE: Hmmmm, I think you should come to school anyway. You should stay at your desk if there is no one else here.

Lucky me! I hope that the weather isn't too bad, because I basically have to ride my bike through it regardless.

This is the cow shed in the middle of Okubo!
It's like finding a milk shed next to the mall in Wollongong.
Tonight, I brought about 400 papers home to mark! It was much nicer sitting on the floor at home listening to music while marking than ruining my shoulder trying to mark at my desk. After the marking, Sam and I went and did our Tuesday night Japanese study. This time we hit up Cafe Gusto rather than Starbucks - Cafe Gusto has a "drink bar", so we could get never-ending drinks for only a few hundred yen. We also had dinner there - caesar salad for me, and a fried chicken and prawn concoction (with corn, or course) for Sam. I am getting a little better at the kanji - I think I know about 90 or so. I am starting to be able to recognise them more easly around me. Oh, and I made Sam detour to take some photos of my cow shed, and to go late night shopping at a discount supermarket. I am REALLY tired and feel a bit worn out tonight, but I am glad that I still went and did some study. 

Sam with cow shed on the left, and the Coke factory on the right.
Food Highlight of the Day: Dessert at Cafe Gusto was a "pichi youguretto sando" - or a Peach Yoghurt Sandwich. There was peach and yoghurt, but there was no hint of sando - it was just a delicious yoghurt, peach and ice cream dessert. It was like having dessert at my grandma's house (I mean Grandma Mary for my family).

No comments: